Increased literacy development is one of the major benefits of a consistent music program. And that can happen before elementary school!
In fact, an independent research firm found that preschoolers who experienced just 30 minutes a week of Kindermusik demonstrated 32% greater gains in language and literacy skills.
Continue reading “Boost Early Literacy Development with Just 30 Minutes of Music per Week”
They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, but in ABC English & Me, Kindermusik International is using the research-proven technique of using a picture to help a child learn to read a word. In fact, a recent study by Chinese researchers again confirmed the impact of a visual-rich context on literacy.
Along with music, movement, and interactive @Home Materials, the ABC English & Me curriculum actually utilizes a variety of pictures and visuals to help reinforce the learning that happens in class and at home including:
- illustrated rhymes
- illustrated stories
You may not be enrolled in an ABC English & Me program, but you can help enhance your child’s literacy development in other simple ways. Here are a few ideas and resources to get you started…
- Build your own library at home. From e-books to traditional books, you can buy books new, put them on a birthday or Christmas list for Grandma, or find gently used books at local bookstores or online at sites like Amazon.
- Spend time reviewing this great list from The Children’s Book Review: 20 Sites to Improve Your Child’s Literacy
- Point out the letters and words that surround us. Whether it’s a box of cereal, a menu at a restaurant, or a sign on a building, opportunities abound to highlight the connection between letters, sounds, and words in every day, casual conversation.
- Label things around the house. Make some simple signs and label objects around the house. You can use sticky-tack so that the signs are temporary. Include a picture with the word for extra benefit.
- Read aloud. There’s no better way to bond with your child, create memories for a lifetime, AND increase their love for books and interest in learning to read for themselves.
See for yourself how Kindermusik can benefit your child in so many ways… including literacy development! Try a free class today.