Are you doing your life’s best work? We are! Kindermusik International, the world’s most trusted name in music education for young children (www.kindermusik.com), is taught in more than 3,000 studios, and 7,000 schools worldwide. We are currently seeking a Vice President to oversee development of all new Kindermusik curricula and ancillary teacher, parent and child products.
At Kindermusik, you will find yourself in the company of other high achievers who are passionate about doing their life’s best work and driven by the opportunities and challenges that come with being part of a small and employee-owned company devoted to the mission of bringing music to every child’s life.
Our team has won numerous awards: Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year, Most Family Friendly (14 years in a row), Winning Work Place Best Boss, Fast 50, etc. We’re crazy entrepreneurial (translation: there is always a lot going on). You’ll be held accountable – we all are, to each other. Boredom is a non-issue; being continually stretched, that’s more like it. We’ll want you to learn and deliver pronto – no time for delay when you’re out to change the world for children and to delight our customer community.
About the role
As VP of Product Development and Editor in Chief, you will be charged with developing new content and curricula and updating what already exists. You will play a vital role in creating the 3-5 year product development plan. This critical position reports directly to the CEO and will be a part of the senior leadership team. You will be accountable for bringing to life products for schools, studios and for a new, direct to consumer market. In addition, you will ensure our existing programs reflect current research in early childhood development and music education and address the needs of today’s children and families.
You will be working with the sales channels, educators and key customers. In addition , you will work closely with our VP of Product and Brand Management to deliver high quality products and programs that will reach even more children and help make a difference in the world.
You must be able to communicate with all areas of the company. This position requires an understanding of project management, expense control, processes of bringing new products to market utilizing cross-functional teams and interfacing with the company Board of Directors.
Location: Greensboro, NC (strongly preferred)
Scope of Responsibilities
- Oversee development of all new Kindermusik curricula and ancillary teacher, parent, and child products, in both print and digital formats. Oversee major revisions of same.
- Oversee routine maintenance of and periodic minor improvements to all published digital teacher, parent, and children’s content and sites, including quality assurance checks necessitated by platform migrations and revisions.
- Collaborate with business channel leaders and Product Manager on short and long-range product strategy. Work with Product Manager in new-product ideation, design, creation, field testing, and refinement.
- Participate in focus groups; visit and survey customers for feedback on product design and use.
- Build internal and external product development team resources. Hire, train, and supervise creative staff needed to fill required pedagogical, editorial, design, and project management roles. Write performance evaluations; coach, advise, and mentor.
- In collaboration with project managers, oversee hiring and development of freelance curriculum writers, book authors, designers, videographers, music producers, actors, voice talent, editors, and copyeditors. Establish a free lance pool of high quality and cost effective external resources.
- Establish departmental priorities and monitor staff workload.
- Establish workflows and processes for creating and revising curricula, family materials, and direct-to-consumer materials; develop and implement process improvements.
- Work with project managers and cross-functionally to establish project budgets and schedules. Monitor schedules and budgets during development. Recommend corrective actions to resolve budget and schedule issues.
- With editorial staff, set developmentally appropriate and brand consistent style, tone, voice, and graphic design of teacher, parent, and child content. Adhere to corporate branding practices.
- Provide final approval on content scope, accuracy, voice, and design for all print, digital, audio, and video material.
- Train sales and marketing teams on product features and benefits; ensure accurate representation of product features and benefits in sales and marketing materials.
- Oversee development of sales tools and documents as needed, e.g., federal and state alignments to standards, alignments to key customer curricula.
- In collaboration with Digital Asset Manager, develop and maintain archiving and file release system for safe-keeping of all final files and accurate file releases.
- Develop and ensure efficient processes and execution of systematic proofing and QA on all manufactured print and published digital product.
- In collaboration with project manager and IT, oversee intellectual property database designed to document specs on all Kindermusik-owned assets and permissions on licensed assets.
- In partnership with sales and marketing teams, determine professional development topics upon which Kindermusik should compete to present at industry conferences
- Assist training, sales, and marketing teams with the development of conference proposals, abstracts, presentations, and materials
- Conduct first read of professional development and thought leadership content developed by authors; work with authors to fine-tune the content’s structure, voice, angle, tone, etc.
- Ensure that presentation narratives, key points, and takeaways are delivered clearly and compelling and that research cited is correct and current
- Develop and give presentations and trainings on music and early childhood development at conferences and workshops
- Attend conferences, webinars, workshops, and meetings, and read industry journals and other publications, to keep abreast of relevant child development research as well as trends and practices in early childhood education
- Serve as chief company liaison with independent research groups conducting efficacy research on Kindermusik curricula; advise on research questions, measures, and methods; help sales and marketing teams to properly represent research results
Solid working knowledge of the cognitive, physical, and social-emotional development of infants, babies, toddlers, and preschoolers.
Passion for early childhood education and the arts.
Minimum of 7 years experience in curriculum or educational product development/publishing for children ages newborn to 7 years of age.
Minimum of 2 years experience in digital publishing.
Thorough knowledge of children’s media: the books, music, apps, websites, and learning devices used by today’s young children and their families.
Ability to perform all aspects of the editorial process and manage complex editorial projects.
Excellent writing, editing, presentation, and communication skills.
Understanding of digital functionality and how content is best incorporated into digital solutions; can “speak digital” as well as lead development processes for programs in print.
5-7+ years experience in people management.
Exceptional organizational and managerial skills, attention to detail, strong sense of responsibility
- Ability to plan and prioritize team workflows to meet aggressive project deadlines for multiple long and overlapping product development cycles
- Self-directed and highly motivated
- Flexible and adaptable to entrepreneurial work environment
- Results oriented and can roll up their sleeves to get things done
- Sense of urgency
- High integrity and trustworthy - understands organization that is transparent and owner operated
- MA required; higher degree in early childhood education or a writing-intensive field of study strongly preferred
Kindermusik offers a comprehensive compensation/benefits package.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to email@example.com.