We’ve all sung the wrong lyrics to a song. Pre-Internet days, we probably even engaged in some spirited dialogue with friends about the words to certain songs when the artist did not include the lyrics! (Hold me closer, Tony Danza, anyone?)
Somehow, though, when children mis-sing a song, our love for them grows and we run to get the camera to capture the cuteness! Take this sweet little nugget. He is singing a beautiful rendition of “Fifty Nifty United States,” including Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, and the newest state of the union: Massachusettsippigan.
Mis-sung lyrics is one of the reasons we include lyrics in Kindermusik classes so we can read the words to an unfamiliar song. However, while Kindermusik certainly supports early literacy development, most Kindermusik students are not fluent readers so they can create some of their own interesting lyrics.
Here are 5 “mis-sung” lyrics heard in a Kindermusik classroom.
Floating Down the River:
- Misheard lyric: “Two in the middle and ketchup juicy.”
- Actual lyric: “Two in the middle and you can’t jump, Josie.”
- Misheard lyric: “My mom buys pizza”
- Actual lyric: “Mama Paquita”
Home on the Range
- Misheard lyric: “Hold, hold on the reins.”
- Actual lyric: “Home, home on the range.”
- Misheard lyric: “Bring back, bring back, oh bring back my body to me, to meEEee….”
- Misheard lyric: “Bring back, bring back, oh bring back my bunny to me!”
- Actual lyric: Bring back, bring back, oh bring back my Bonnie to me!