Sometimes the most unusual sounds and beautiful sights can strike a chord within us, and even within a precocious young child! Learning to search for beauty, listen for beauty, and discuss beautiful sounds – these are the building blocks to developing an aesthetic awareness that lasts a lifetime.
As adults, it’s up to us to model an appreciation for loveliness around us and also create environments to help awaken a child’s aesthetic senses. In order for a child to become a truly creative, authentic learner and creator herself, this awareness must first be developed and fostered.
Even simple Kindermusik activities like taking a pretend windy walk, reading about Michael Finnigan’s antics with the wind, or making wind chimes, are part of helping a child seek out and understand the aesthetic beauty around us. A nature walk, singing, painting, drawing, playing an instrument – all these activities are effective.
Here are a few tips to help your child continue to build aesthetic awareness:
1. Expose your child to experiences that heighten his sense of the aesthetically pleasing – museums, concerts, nature walks, etc.
2. Point out the beauty already around your child – in nature, fine art, and music. Talk about what he likes, or doesn’t like, and why.
3. Play good quality music in the home and/or in the car, surrounding your child with a variety of musical genres and styles. Discuss what she is hearing and how it makes her feel.
4. Encourage your child to express himself musically and artistically. Let your child pick the music he listens to while doing a little project. Keep kid-friendly art supplies within reach for those moments when inspiration strikes.
5. Keep your child enrolled in Kindermusik! From newborn up, Kindermusik is seven musical and magical years of preparation for a lifetime of aesthetic awareness.
Posted by Theresa Case whose Kindermusik program at Piano Central Studios is proudly among the top 1% of Kindermusik programs worldwide.