Whether it’s a first-time experience of going to school or having to say goodbye to an older sibling going to school, that change – as exciting as it may be – can also be unsettling for a child. Once-predictable routines are different. There’s a new schedule. Mom or Dad’s attention has to shift a bit, and maybe they’re feeling a little anxious about all the change too. Things just aren’t quite the same.
Finding something that’s familiar and comforting to keep constant in the midst of all of this change can go a long way towards helping a child successfully transition to a new routine. For many of our Kindermusik families, that “something familiar and comforting” is their Kindermusik classes… and the Kindermusik songs and activities they enjoy together in between classes throughout the week at home.
It may be tempting to let all activities go, even beloved ones like Kindermusik classes, in the face of big life changes like starting school or even welcoming a new little sibling into the family. It’s understandable for adults to feel a certain stress or concern over juggling an increasingly busy schedule, and you may feel concerned that it’s too much for your child too. But young children are actually relieved to have the comfort of a predictable activity with a Kindermusik class or teacher they adore, a setting that’s familiar, and all of their Kindermusik friends they enjoy seeing each week.
Even if the child is moving to a different Kindermusik class level or changing a class day and time, what they love and look forward to about Kindermusik doesn’t change. And that’s where the comfort is for them.
Here are some of our favorite musical routines guaranteed to help back-to-school routines become much smoother:
- Keep attending Kindermusik classes. You’ll be surprised at how calming this will be for your child… and for you! If you will let her know about the changes your family is facing, your Kindermusik teacher can be aware to give a little extra attention and TLC in the transition as well (an older sibling starting school is also a great time to get a younger child started in Kindermusik!).
- Incorporate some Kindermusik songs into your new routines. Perhaps you’ll choose a little song to sing to your child as you wake them up each day, or maybe you turn on the Kindermusik CD or stream your Kindermusik songs as soon as you get in the car.
- Create a playlist of your favorite Kindermusik Quiet Time or Cuddle Time songs. Keep that playlist handy when it’s one of “THOSE” mornings, or when your child just needs to calm and refocus after dropping big sister off at school or after a long day at school.
- Make a sing-along playlist. How fun would it be to start the morning with a song in your heart and a big smile on your face?! Singing fun, favorite songs can do that for you! And no one will think twice if you’re belting out those songs along with your child…except that you might want to remember to change the playlist once your child gets out of the car!
- Utilize the information for parents in your Kindermusik Home Materials to understand better where your child’s developmental stages and needs. There’s some really insightful information you can glean that will support you in easing your child through transition times, developmentally and scholastically.
Check out Sing Music Studio’s King Kong Kitchie sin-along below. These kids are having a blast!
The things you love most about Kindermusik can continue to be the things you love most about Kindermusik, even through those times of transition and change. That’s the really wonderful thing about Kindermusik. It’s truly a beautiful beginning – and continuation – for you and your child.